Sunday, April 21, 2013

Leaf Coasters

Jared and I like to define ourselves as a "balanced" couple.  He's analytical and mathematical, while I'm more creative and emotional.  Jared thrives on routine... and I forget to lock the front door on a regular basis.  We are alike in so many ways, but our differences allow us to simultaneously challenge and support each other. 

One thing we have in common, though,  is a distaste for spending large amounts of money on furniture.  Yes, I will pass up garage sale furniture that is priced over $20.00, even if it's something nice.   I've had the same mattress since I was a pre-teen and almost every major furniture piece in my house was a hand-me-down from somebody.  My previous coffee table was a clearance find and wouldn't have scored higher than a D- in a quality test. 

I believe our aversion to buying more expensive furniture comes from the fact that we (I) have a terrible fear of ruining nice things.  So when we were lucky enough to inherit a gorgeous coffee table and end table from my parents a couple years ago, I vowed to do my best to preserve the beautiful wood finish.

As part of my preservation effort, I made several cloth coasters.  If you know me really well, you'd know that at any given time I am probably in the process of finishing several different beverages at once.  Check out my Instagram for the evidence!

This is the set I made a while back - cotton on top of felt.  They are slip-proof and prevent moisture from seeping through to the tabletop.


But they got attacked... Puppy teeth are unkind to fabric.  And in our house, anything on the coffee table is within throwing reach of the babe.  Wonder why our remotes are always all over the floor?  Pitching practice.






I've been wanting to replace these for a while anyway, so this was just the motivation I needed to begin.  I had recently made a leaf-shaped "potholder" for the kitchen and I loved the fabrics I had chosen for that:

It's not going to ever hold a pot, I guarantee.

I chose 4 of my favorite coordinating greens, as well as 3 different shades of green felt for the backing.

I cut my felt first - into leaf shapes, making sure they would be big enough for a glass to sit on (allowing 1/4" on all sides for the seams).



I cut my top fabrics, pinned and sewed ("pretty" sides together) with a 1/4" seam allowance and a 1" hole for turning inside-out.  Once I turned my leaves, I sewed around the perimeters to close the 1" opening, and to help them keep their leafy shape.


I went back and added "leaf veins" to embellish the design (they remind me of something I probably drew with crayon as a kid).


This additional sewing will also provide some function as well as decoration to my coasters.  They will retain the leaf shape, even when washed (or chewed on by dog/babe).



I'm pleased with how they turned out.  And before you jump to any conclusions about my literary expertise... I have not yet read The Hobbit.  But it sure has a pretty cover :)



These coasters could certainly be made in any shape, with almost any fabric.  And since they are so easy and inexpensive to create, I won't feel terrible dismay when the likely occasion arises that they become stained, or ripped, or lost, or chewed on...



No comments:

Post a Comment