Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful

Thanksgiving Day always serves as a nice reminder of the importance of gratitude.  We live in such a busy, go-go-go, society that it's really hard to remember to stop once in a while to give thanks - especially when thankfulness is such an undervalued attitude.  

Cynicism is too often over-appreciated, while those of us who value kindness and positivity are labeled as "naive" or "cheesy."  Complaints dominate social media and there always seems to be a sick competition to determine "who has it the worst."  Why do we want to be miserable?  Why do we compete for "most funerals attended" or "most stressed out?"  Can't we focus on the good things in life?  Every day that we are alive is a wonderful and amazing miracle.  Shouldn't we be thankful for life's blessings every single day? 

I challenge my friends and family to take a moment every day - not just today, not just the month of November - to reflect deliberately and sincerely about what you are grateful for.  I try to commit to a minute of gratitude every night before I go to sleep.  Call it prayer, call it meditation... whatever your beliefs, you can't ignore the importance of giving thanks for what you have. 


In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I would like to share the things that I am thankful for today and every day.

My sweet, intelligent, funny little boy - and the blessing of being his mommy

My husband and our loving marriage

My supportive, loving and generous parents

My caring, fun and amazingly talented brothers - and the friendship we all share

My soul mate dog and her copious loveable quirks



Our strange and hilarious, affectionate puppy
Our precious new baby and his persistent kicking

No comments:

Post a Comment