Thursday, July 24, 2014

Snuggle Up! with Letter Pillows



I know a pair of girls who turned 7 this summer...  and I wanted to make them some personalized pillows in the shape of their initials.  This project is only slightly less basic than sewing a throw pillow - pretty simple. 


I began by drawing a pattern.


 My favorite method for sewing my own patterns (probably the "lazy" method) is to trace around my paper pattern with a pencil, then sew on that line.  This is quicker and easier than adding seam allowances to my pattern.  It also ensures that I stitch precisely where I want my seams to end up.  

I used a stretchy, soft fleece for the backs of my pillows. Super cozy!

Once I had sewn along my pattern line (leaving a couple inches open to turn my pillow right-side-out), I trimmed the edges and clipped the corners.


I typically use a large crochet hook when turning my projects, which allows me to push out crisp corners and edges without poking through my fabric by accident.  

The "A" challenged my spacial reasoning skills at first... 
I had to leave the center seam open in order to turn it right-side-out, then hand stitch it closed. 


Once turned, I stuffed my pillows (really really full, so as to avoid a "floppy" appearance) and hand stitched the opening closed.


I was so thrilled with how this quick project turned out that I made a couple for my own babes too!






No comments:

Post a Comment