Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Big Day: Packing Your Hospital Bag for Delivery

I am a researcher.  My daddy taught me well how to gather information and weigh the pros and cons before making big decisions.  With this training, it won't be surprising when I tell you how much research I did while I was pregnant with Little J.  I read books, I perused blogs and baby websites, I watched "Baby Mama" and "Juno" over and over again.  And, being a Ravenclaw, I kept a notebook with all the information I gathered. 

This was helpful for a couple reasons: my pregnant brain wasn't very functional.  I had trouble remembering what I had for breakfast, let alone what gifts we had been given or who I had already sent Thank You's to.  It's also really nice to look back now (and in the future, next time I'm packing for the hospital) and have a reminder of how I did things the first time around. 

I went over my packing list for my hospital bag time and time again.  I had my bag packed early, which was wise since I ended up going into labor nearly 3 weeks before my due date.  I thought I was so smart and so prepared. The unfortunate part was that I packed all the wrong stuff!

I got some of it right, of course.  But I barely used most of what I had brought - and there were things I wished I had packed that I didn't think of.  I plan on having more babies someday, so the lessons I learned will ultimately turn out to be valuable... But until then, I will share my education with my readers. (For more about my pregnancy experience, read my post When I was Pregnant... )

I tend to organize and categorize almost every aspect of my life.  You can take a look at how I pack my diaper bag to see what I mean.  If I were to pack a bag for the hospital right now, this is how I would do it:

zooey wants to come too

*The hospital provided diapers, wipes, a variety of maxi pads, disposable undies, nursing pads, swaddling blankets, hat and undershirt for baby, booger sucker, baby shampoo.* 

Category 1: Clothing myself (main bag, small suitcase is the easiest)
  • Robe - I didn't mind the hospital gown, but a robe would have been nice when walking the halls (instead of doing the double hospital gown thing)
  • Slippers or grippy socks - hospital socks are lame.  They never feel comfortable to me (probably because they have no heel).  Flip flops would be nice too.
  • Grungy nightgowns or jammies - post-birth stuff is gross, but I'd much prefer to wear my own comfy jams.  You will need easy shirt access for breastfeeding and/or pant access for post-birth exams.
  • Big undies - the hospital provides disposable underwear, but it's meshy and uncomfortable.  Honestly, I'd probably rather wear a diaper (and maybe next time I will!  I've heard adult diapers can be really nice to have for post-birth bleeding).
  • Comfortable nursing bra - especially nice when guests come to visit the babe, to avoid feeling totally exposed/saggy
  • Maternity pants to wear home - comfy ones.  Like, really super stretchy, comfy, cottony ones.  I can't emphasize this enough.  They must be comfy.  I was sooooooo puffy after Little J was born due to all the fluids they pumped into me (part of the epidural procedure) that I was almost as big leaving the hospital as I was upon arrival.
  • Cute nursing top to wear home
  • Sweatshirt - in case of chilly rooms or chilly weather

Category 2: Caring for myself (main bag)
  • Water bottle - I'm super attached to my red water bottle, and I doubt I could have labored without it
  • Snacks - enough for myself and for Jared for the recovery days.  I recommend fiber bars, since stool softeners tend to never be quite enough for my stubborn bowels (gross, sorry!)
  • Notebook for recording memories, thoughts, and feelings about delivery.  Also great for taking notes from the nurses!  
  • Extra bag or box to carry any flowers, gifts, hospital gear (we brought home everything the hospital gave us - diapers, maxi pads, etc)
  • Toiletries (separate toiletry bag, with smaller pouches within for organization)
    • toothbrush and toothpaste
    • shower supplies
    • hairbrush (the hospital provided a blowdryer)
    • chapstick
    • hair ties, bobby pins & headbands for sweaty, unkempt labor hair
    • makeup
    • facial wipes
    • deodorant
    • lotion
    • soft toilet paper - hospital tp is not kind to your sore nethers

 Category 3: Babe's Stuff  (small duffel bag)
  • Cute outfits for baby to wear home - I'd give myself a couple options, to allow for baby's size, the weather, my mood...
  • Baby mittens - to prevent scratches from sharp little baby nails
  • Weather-appropriate travel supplies - hat, blankets, warm booties, car seat cover, etc.  When we brought Little J home, forest fires were raging just outside of town, so we needed extra blankets to protect him from all the smoke in the air.  
  • Lanolin for sore nipples
  • Boppy - this was my best friend when I was nursing Little J.  Next time I'm in the hospital, I will want this little sucker with me from the start!
  • Vaseline - a layer of petroleum jelly on baby's bum will provide easier cleanup for those first few sticky poos
  • Car Seat - snapped safely into the car, ready for baby to come at any time.  

Category 4: Tech (piled atop the normal contents of my large purse)
  • Cell phones with chargers
  • Camera with charger or extra battery
  • Video camera with charger
  • iPod (or iPhone) & headphones - I brought mine last time, but for some reason I settled for the hospital music channel that played elevator music behind a slideshow of Colorado scenery.  Next time I'd like to make a specific "calm" playlist to get me through contractions (and actually use it!).
i put baby stuff in that bottom zipper pouch
 Hubby Bag (small duffel bag)
  • Sweatpants and Sweatshirt for chilly delivery room
  • Extra T-shirts, undershirts, socks and undies
  • Toiletries:
    • toothbrush
    • toothpaste
    • deodorant
  • Important documents (insurance stuff, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment