Thursday, October 24, 2013

Decorating for Fall

Fall is usually my favorite time of year: the cool air, crunchy leaves, scarves and jackets, hearty homemade meals... And I love decorating for this season.  I find significance in the task of pulling down all my summery flowers and brightly colored vases and replacing them with warm orange and brown decorations.  The house feels cozy when it's full of pumpkins, and my mood always shifts in a more positive direction after this symbolic change in decor.

In past years I have felt the urge to buy more fall decorations to suit our current home.  This year we are A) living in the same home as last year, B) on a tighter budget, and C) pregnant.  So the amount of effort I desire to put forth has dwindled a bit... but I still wanted to decorate!

So this is how I added some fall touches to my "normal" decor without spending any money or using up too much of my pregnant energy supply.



Leave usual decor as is, just adding fall items here and there

Add a stem of fall berries to an existing arrangement

Add fall leaves to an existing wreath

Incorporate fall decor amongst usual items on a mantel

I love garlands!

The Autumn sign hanging above my mantel was a freebie - I snagged a nice piece of wood from my dad's garage, glued on some silk leaves (with Mod Podge, of course), and painted on a fall scene.  I used colors and texture that made me think of Autumn in the park.  Once dry, I stapled some twine to the back (with the heavy duty staple gun from my "lady's" tool kit from college) and hung it up!




1 comment: