Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Second Time Around Makes Me a... Pro?


I want to believe that, because I've already been through the pregnancy, labor, childbirth, newborn experience, I'm a professional.  That I learned all the lessons I will ever need to learn and made all the mistakes I will ever have the misfortune to make.  But I know deep down that I am horribly, terribly wrong.

I've already been shown that I'm not a Pro when it comes to pregnancy - this time around has been entirely different than the first time.  Everything I expected to happen, hasn't happened!  And everything I figured wouldn't happen, has.  I'm a list person, so here's how my mind makes the comparison:

Baby J Pregnancy:
  • Got pregnant right away with no problem
  • Had moderate morning sickness
  • Had nasty, mean mood swings in the first trimester, which diminished after about 14 weeks
  • Had no real food cravings
  • Knew in my heart that Baby would be healthy and that everything would go smoothly 
  • Gained a reasonable amount of weight 

Baby #2 Pregnancy:
  • Struggled to get pregnant, thought something was wrong, saw doctor, then SURPRISE!
  • Had almost nonexistent morning sickness, but extreme fatigue
  • Have had the saddest, sobbiest mood swings that are only worsening as pregnancy progresses
  • Have had the ugliest skin and hair of my life
  • Have had no cravings because I've had no appetite?!?!
  • Have gained practically no weight at all
  • Have this deep, sinking feeling of doom that something horrible is going to happen to me or the baby or somebody important in our lives
So this pregnancy has really thrown me for a loop.  People keep telling me, "it's probably because you're having a girl!"  But realistically... there could be any number of reasons for all the distinct differences between my pregnancies.  I'm pregnant during the summer, for one.  And I have a 1-year-old I'm chasing around while still carrying most of the baby weight that I gained while pregnant with him...

Right now I'm just so thankful that my pregnancy is progressing healthily and normally.  But the fact that there has been so much of the unexpected this time makes me think that the surprises might continue indefinitely.  Just to be safe, I will plan ahead as though I know what's to come.  Meaning: I will firstly try to correct all the mistakes I made the first time!

While pregnant with Little J, I did a really good job of staying relaxed, calm, and happy.  Really, the only mistake I made leading up to his delivery was not getting enough exercise.  I haven't been a very good girl this time either, but I do have my little toddler to chase around, which keeps me from being a total couch potato at least.

Where I went the most wrong with my first pregnancy was during our hospital stay - from the time we checked in until the time we checked out.  I consider myself to be flexible and resilient most of the time, but I was pretty unfair to myself to think that I could make it through labor, delivery and recovery by simply relying on whatever amenities the hospital would provide.  During my (27 hour) labor, I listened to the in-house hospital music loop instead of the iPod resting comfortably in my suitcase.  What?! Why?  Who knows, really...  But this was one of so many mistakes that made the hospital experience less than enjoyable for me.  Here are my suggestions to Future-Sarah for the next hospital stay:

  1. BRING YOUR OWN PILLOW!
    - I cannot stress this enough.  You will really need a piece of home once you are alone in the recovery room. 
  2. Listen to your own music during labor.  Nothing is more soothing than James Taylor.
  3. Take a shower as soon as you can.  Seriously.  But just in case you resist, pay Jared ahead of time to use whatever force necessary to get you in the shower.
  4. Bring some of your own jammies and socks from home.  And a robe.  And some big, post-birth undies.  Hospital clothes are NOT comfy.  Also, put a bra on as soon as you are allowed.
  5. Order tons of food at mealtimes.  Your food is included in the hospital costs, so why not eat as much as required to fuel your milk-producing body?
  6. Force Jared to eat and sleep as much as he needs to.  A zombie husband is not very happy or helpful.
  7. Be assertive with the nursing staff.  They will give you contradicting advice about breastfeeding.  And there will be a time when you need to just push the stupid call button and ask for assistance.  Don't be such a weenie!
  8. Write things down.  Your feeling, your thoughts, observations about Baby, and most importantly: information you might not remember after the baby-haze wears off.  Don't assume you or Jared will recall many of the details, because you won't.  
  9. Get out of the recovery room.  The hallways aren't much of an improvement, but at least your claustrophobia will remain in check for a little longer than if you sit in bed for 3 days. 
  10. Snuggle with Baby when you want to, and leave him in the bassinet when you don't want to.  It's OK to feel like you need a break.

I know from our previous experience that once we arrived home with Baby, everything seemed less scary.  Being in my own bed and having all my normal comforts surrounding me made a huge difference in my mood, my confidence, and ultimately my success with breastfeeding.  I suppose that's my final piece of advice, Future-Sarah.  Remember that in the end, you get to bring that sweet baby home with you.


And if you need a refresher course in how to pack your hospital bag, check out my packing suggestions here!

1 comment: